You are likely to spend more time outside as it is summer. Since the lawn is a central place where much of that time is spent, care should be taken to keep it healthy. The dry heat of the season can present unique challenges to maintaining a healthy summer lawn in Wayland. However, following these tips can help you keep up with it and overcome the challenges. Remember, a Wayland lawn maintenance service provider is best suited for the job of lawn care.
How to Water Your Lawn in the Summer
- As a general rule, lawns should receive at least 1 inch of water per week to stay healthy.
- To make sure that you are watering your lawn well, place an empty tuna can in each irrigation zone. Note the time it takes to fill the can. This will give you an of idea how long each zone must be run to provide 1 inch of water.
- Divide the time in half and run each zone two times weekly for that amount of time, unless there is rainfall.
- Watering your lawn early in the morning is the key. It will provide enough time for the soil to absorb the water before the sun is at its peak and prevent the water from evaporating.
- Also, take care of the location. A lawn that is sloped requires more water than a shaded lawn.
Avoid Drought Damage
A lawn that doesn’t receive enough water can experience drought damage. Here are a few symptoms of drought damage:
- Change in grass color
- Impressions in the grass after you step on it
- Crunching and crackling under the pressure of your steps
- Grass blades wilting and folding over
Proper watering, fertilization, and aeration can heal drought damage in case your turf is a warm-season grass, like Bermuda or Zoysia.
A core aeration and seeding treatment will be suitable for cool-season grasses like fescue.
Allow a Sudbury lawn care service to tackle your lawn in case of drought damage.
How to Mow Your Lawn in Summer
- In the summer it’s necessary to let your grass grow a bit longer. It will provide shade for your lawn’s soil and help avert the summer heat from evaporating your new watering methods.
- Keeping the grass longer also permit roots to grow further into the soil. Your lawn can have a fuller appearance.
- A length between 3 to 4 inches is ideal for cool-season grasses.
- Warm-season lawns will do great with just 1 to 2.5-inches. You can even maintain them as low as .75-inches.
Call Concord Tree & Landscape for Superior Lawn Maintenance
If you want a lush green lawn year-round, call up Concord Tree & Landscape. We are an experienced and reliable landscape service provider in Wayland and nearby areas. Call us at 978-567-8733 for Sudbury lawn care service. Our Wayland lawn maintenance service will be glad to help.